Transform your future and the lives of others with an online B.S. Public Health degree from Rivier University. You will learn the skills you need to help you address health related issues in the community and beyond.
This dynamic field is growing rapidly; according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, positions such as community health educators are expected to grow 21 percent by 2022 — faster than average. Graduates can pursue employment in government agencies or nonprofit organizations, or are prepared for graduate studies.
Students in the program develop skills to practice in multiple public health-related areas, including public health services, environmental services, epidemiology, and social and public policy. And since this is one of the few fully online programs in the region, students can learn in a flexible, convenient format designed around their schedule.
Multiple term starts, a generous transfer credit policy and competitive tuition rates are all designed to help you start, and finish, faster. Rivier University has been educating students to transform the world for more than 80 years, so you can trust you will receive a high-quality education in a format designed to help you succeed.Request Information
- Next Start Date: January 22, 2019
- Est. Program Length: 2-4 years
- Credit Hours: 123
- Course Length: 7 and 14 weeks
Request Your Info Packet
The degree requires 123 credit hours for completion, and tuition is $360 per credit hour. Students can transfer up to 90 credits into the degree, so it can be completed in as little as two years.
- General Education Requirements (42 credits)
Foundation Courses: 12
- ENG 120 Composition in Context: 3
- MA 112 (or above) College Algebra : 3
- RIV 120 Dignity, Work, Vocation: 3
- REL Elective: 3
Area Distribution Requirements: 18
Choose two courses from each area:
- Humanities: English, History, Modern Language, Philosophy, Religion
- Natural/Physical Science, Mathematics and Technology: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Math, Physics
- Social Sciences: Economics, Geography, Human Development, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Social Work
General Education Liberal Arts Elective: 12
Choose four courses from the Area Distribution Requirements above.
- Major Requirements (45 credits)
- PH 101 Introduction to Public Health: 3
- PH 125 Environmental Health: 3
- PH 201 Epidemiology in Public Health: 3
- PH 202 Health Systems and Services: 3
- PH 203 Public Health Seminar: 3
- PH 204 Health Promotion, Marketing and Social Communications: 3
- PH 302 Health Policy and Politics: 3
- PH 304 Food Safety and Hygiene: 3
- PH 330 Research Methods: 3
- PH 336 Public Health Emergency Preparedness: 3
- PH 400 Global Health and Health Disparities: 3
- PH 402 Program Planning and Evaluation: 3
- PH 404 Communicable Diseases and Non-Communicable Diseases: 3
- PH 495 Public Health Internship/Capstone: 6
- Related Science Courses (15 credits)
- BIO/CHE/PHY One elective: 3
- BIO 105 Human Anatomy and Physiology I: 4
- BIO 106 Human Anatomy and Physiology II: 4
- BIO 201 Medical Microbiology: 4
- Other Related Courses (12 credits)
- PSY 101 General Psychology: 3
- PSY 204 Biostatistics: 3
- REL 379 Bioethics: 3
- SOC Sociology Elective: 3
- General Electives (9 credits)
Free electives provide students with the opportunity to study content areas that meet personal, professional, or vocational interests.
Rivier University operates on a rolling admissions system. Students may apply for admission at any time and are notified of acceptance within two to four weeks from the date their application is completed.
A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for admission into the B.S. Public Health degree.
Transfer credits from regionally accredited two- and four-year institutions are accepted. To transfer credits, you should request that your official transcript be sent to Rivier University, C/O The Learning House, 32 Mount Joy Street, Suite 300, Mount Joy, PA 17552. Your advisor will review transcript and determine how many credits are transferable to your chosen program of study.Apply Now