Advance your career with an online B.A. Psychology from Rivier University. The skills learned in this program will give you a foundation in psychology to help you start your career in human services. The ability to understand others helps people become better communicators, leaders, and problem solvers – skills that transfer to virtually any industry.
Students at Rivier develop strong writing and analytic skills to become innovative thinkers and creative problem solvers. Specialized study topics in the psychology program include drugs and behaviors, counseling theories and practice, human sexuality, social psychology, and more.
Graduates can pursue careers in multiple human service settings, in roles such as social service case managers, residential counselors, youth rehabilitation counselors, group care workers, site support specialists, research assistants, and behavior interventionists. Other opportunities include careers in education, marketing, communication, business, and much more. In addition, graduates are prepared to pursue more education in an advanced degree program.
This program takes place in a convenient online learning environment, allowing you to complete your education and maintain your current work and personal schedule. Multiple term starts, a generous transfer credit policy and competitive tuition rates are all designed to help you start, and finish, faster. Rivier University has been educating students to transform the world for more than 80 years, so you can trust you will receive a high-quality education in a format designed to help you succeed.Request Information
- Next Start Date: January 22, 2019
- Est. Program Length: 2-4 years
- Credit Hours: 121
- Course Length: 7 weeks
Request Your Info Packet
The degree requires 120 credit hours for completion and tuition is $360 per credit hour. Students can transfer up to 90 credits into the degree, so it can be completed in as little as two years.
- General Education Requirements (42 credits)
Foundation Courses: 12
- ENG 120 Composition in Context: 3
- MA 112 (or above) College Algebra: 3
- RIV 120 Dignity, Work, Vocation: 3
- REL Elective: 3
Area Distribution Requirements: 18
Choose two courses from each area:
- Humanities: English, History, Modern Language, Philosophy, Religion
- Natural/Physical Science, Mathematics and Technology: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Math, Physics
- Social Sciences: Economics, Geography, Human Development, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Social Work
General Education Liberal Arts Elective: 12
Choose four courses from the Area Distribution Requirements above.
- Major Requirements (31 credits)
- PSY 101 General Psychology: 3
- PSY 204 Biostatistics: 3
- PSY 205L Statistics Lab: 1
- PSY 206 Experimental Psychology: 3
- PSY 404 Sensation and Perception: 3
- PSY 407 Introduction to Neuroscience: 3
- PSY 408 Coordinating Seminar: 3
- PSY 200 two electives: 6
- PSY 203 Psychology of Communication
- PSY 208 Child Psychology
- PSY 210 Human Sexuality
- PSY 211 Adolescent Psychology
- PSY 212 Lifespan Development
- PSY 230 Forensic Psychology
- PSY 240 Social Psychology
- PSY 300 two electives: 6
- PSY 301 Drugs and Behaviors
- PSY 304 Cognitive Psychology
- PSY 305 Psychology of Women
- PSY 306 Adult Psychology
- PSY 307 Personality Theory
- PSY 308 Health Psychology
- PSY 400 one elective: 6
- PSY 400 History and Systems of Psychology
- PSY 401 Psychological Testing and Assessment
- PSY 402 Counseling Theories and Practice
- PSY 403 Clinical Psychology
- PSY 405 Transpersonal Psychology
*A prior course in college algebra or quantitative literacy, such as MA 123, is strongly recommended before taking PSY 205.
- General Electives (48 credits)
Free electives provide students with the opportunity to study content areas that meet personal, professional, or vocational interests.
Rivier University operates on a rolling admissions systems. Students may apply for admission at any time and are notified of acceptance within 2 to 4 weeks from the date their application is completed.
A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for admission into the B.A. Psychology degree.
Transfer credits from regionally accredited 2- and 4-year institutions are accepted. To transfer credits, you should request that your official transcript be sent to: Rivier University, C/O The Learning House, 32 Mount Joy Street, Suite 300, Mount Joy, PA 17552. Your advisor will review transcript and determine how many credits are transferable to your chosen program of study.Apply Now